Thursday, October 2, 2014

Supreme Court agrees to hear judicial campaign solicitation case - Concurring Opinions

Lanell Williams-Yulee
Lanell Williams Yulee
Supreme Court agrees to hear judicial campaign solicitation case - Concurring Opinions:
by Ronald K. Collins
"The case is Williams-Yulee v. The Florida Bar. This morning the Court agreed to review the case. Lanell Williams-Yulee → The issue is whether a rule of judicial conduct that prohibits candidates for judicial office from personally soliciting campaign funds violates the First Amendment. In a per curium opinion, a divided Florida Supreme Court denied the First Amendment challenge. (See here re video and transcript of oral arguments in Florida Supreme Court.) A petition for certiorari was filed by Andrew Pincus, Charles Rothfeld, and Michael Kimberly with assistance from Ernest Myers and Lee Marcus along with Eugene Fidell of the Yale Law School Clinic."

The offending letter is below:
LANELL WILLIAMS-YULEE
_____________________________________________
Bringing Diversity to the Judicial Bench
Elect Lanell Williams-Yulee For County Court Judge Group 10 and Campaign Fundraiser
Dear Friend:
I have served as a public servant for this community as Public Defender as well as a Prosecutor for the past 18 years. Having been involved in various civic activities such as “The Great American Teach In,” Inns Of Court, Pro Bono Attorney, Metropolitan Ministries outreach program, as well as a mentor for various young men and women residing within Hillsborough County, I have long worked for positive change in Tampa. With the support of my family, I now feel that the time has come for me to seek elected office. I want to bring fresh ideas and positive solutions to the Judicial bench. I am certain that I can uphold the Laws, Statutes, Ordinances as prescribed by the Constitution of the State of Florida as well as the Constitution of the United States Of America.
I am confident that I can serve as a positive attribute to the Thirteenth Judicial Circuit by running for County Court Judge, Group 10. To succeed in this effort, I need to mount an aggressive campaign. I’m inviting the people that know me best to join my campaign and help make a real difference. An early contribution of $25, $50, $100, $250, or $500, made payable to “Lanell Williams-Yulee Campaign for County Judge”, will help raise the initial funds needed to launch the campaign and get our message out to the public. I ask for your support In meeting the primary election fund raiser goals. Thank you in advance for your support.
Sincerely,
/s/
Lanell Williams-Yulee, Esq.
(Source: here)
 →See YouTube video of TV political ad here.

'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment