Sunday, August 31, 2014

U.S. Urges Israel To Reverse Planned West Bank Land Appropriation – Forward.com

This criticism of Israel seizure of another 1,000 acres of Palestinian farm land is  presumably a pro forma statement by the U.S. which will put no muscle behind it.  I remember when I was a Mondale-appointed member of the Democratic National Platform Committee in 1984.  There was a contested vote calling for an end to building settlements.  Congressman Stephen Solarz spoke against it.  Like other Mondale delegates I voted for it as consistent with the Camp David accords.  Then-Congressman Charles Schumer sat behind me.  Voting by state I raised my hand to vote for the measure.  When I looked back to see how the New York delegates were voting Schumer began berating me.  With the Gaza war in suspense I expect I would get similar reactions from friends if I raised my hand again. - gwc
U.S. Urges Israel To Reverse Planned West Bank Land Appropriation – Forward.com:

Reuters) — The United States sees Israel’s announcement on Sunday of a land appropriation for possible settlement construction in the occupied West Bank as “counterproductive” to peace efforts and urges the Israeli government to reverse the decision, a State Department official said.

Israel laid claim to nearly a thousand acres (400 hectares) in the Etzion settlement bloc near Bethlehem, a move which an anti-settlement group termed the biggest appropriation in 30 years and a Palestinian official said would cause only more friction after the Gaza war.

“We have long made clear our opposition to continued settlement activity,” the U.S. official said. “This announcement, like every other settlement announcement Israel makes, planning step they approve and construction tender they issue is counterproductive to Israel’s stated goal of a negotiated two-state solution with the Palestinians.”

“We urge the government of Israel to reverse this decision,” the official said in Washington.

Read more: http://forward.com/articles/204921/us-urges-israel-to-reverse-planned-west-bank-land/#ixzz3C1TxlZcL

'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment