Monday, September 28, 2020

I helped write the bishops’ first document on Catholics and voting. Here’s why I’m voting Biden, not Trump. | America Magazine

I helped write the bishops’ first document on Catholics and voting. Here’s why I’m voting Biden, not Trump. | America Magazine
by John Carr //Georgetown
For years, I have said that I often feel politically homeless as a pro-life, social justice, consistent-ethic Catholic. This is not a badge of honor. If we Catholics are politically homeless, it is because we have failed to build a home. Sometimes we cannot even find shelter.
Our homelessness has many causes. We have not persuaded others to share our commitment to protect all human life and promote the dignity of all God’s children. Powerful partisan factions and ideological interests have emphasized personal autonomy and freedom over community and solidarity. Our church too often proclaims positions, rather than listening and learning, engaging and dialoguing in a search for the common good.

No comments:

Post a Comment