Saturday, November 30, 2019

Todd on Parkinson, 'The Common Cause: Creating Race and Nation in the American Revolution' | H-Early-America | H-Net

Image result for dunham proclamation
He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the inhabitants of our frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known rule of warfare, is an undistinguished destruction of all ages, sexes and conditions.
In every stage of these Oppressions We have Petitioned for Redress in the most humble terms: Our repeated Petitions have been answered only by repeated injury. A Prince whose character is thus marked by every act which may define a Tyrant, is unfit to be the ruler of a free people.
- Declaration of Independence (1776)

So is the empire that we call America an Empire of Liberty as Gordon Wood tells us?  I've been kind of settling in on the notion that (as one presumably abolitionist New Yorker) I would have been persuaded by the colonial royal governor Dunmore's Proclamation promising of freedom for slaves to stay with the Loyalists and defend my neighborhood Fort - Tryon from the independentista defenders of slavery. 
I am bolstered in this by the discovery of Binghamton University historian Robert Parkinson's The Common Cause.  Below are a review and a couple of interviews with Parkinso
Todd on Robert Parkinson, 'The Common Cause: Creating Race and Nation in the American Revolution' | H-Early-America | H-Net

Ben Franklin's World: Robert Parkinson podcast

Interview with Robert Parkinson - Society for U.S. Intellectual History

1 comment:

  1. I am 65 years old, I was diagnosed of Parkinsons disease at the age of 59. I had severe calf pain, muscle pain, slurred speech, frequent falls, loss of balance, difficulty getting up from sitting position. I was placed on Sinemet 3 times daily, it helped me but not very much. My neurologist advised me to try natural treatments and introduced me to Rich Herbal Garden Parkinsons Disease Herbal formula, I read alot of positive reviews from other patients who used the treatment and i immediately started on the treatment. I had great improvement and relief with this treatment, total decline of symptoms. Great improvement with speech, co-ordination, balance, muscle, mood etc, I gained back my life with this treatment and can never be thankful enough. Visit Rich Herbal Garden official website w ww .Richherbalgardens .c om

    ReplyDelete