Thursday, December 8, 2016

What's wrong with pledging allegiance to the flag


I have been mulling what makes me react viscerally against images like this: white Americans with hands over their hearts pledging allegiance to the flag and to the republic for which it stands.  I don't want to ritually pledge with them that we are all in it together. In the same vein I resent the chants of USA!  USA! and feel bludgeoned by it.
This all white crowd in Cincinnati is  at a  Trump victory tour.  Its whiteness offends me.  Cincinnati is 43% Black.  This white crowd was soon chanting "lock her up" and "build the wall".
The Pledge was popularized in the 1950's one of the most intolerant periods of our history.  I remember when they added "under God", which awkwardly altered the familiar rhythm of the ritual recitation; and reminded me that it is blasphemous to worship an inanimate object.

- GWC


No comments:

Post a Comment