Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Yes, We Can - a personal odyssey

1984
1972 was a shock.  Nixon re-elected.  George McGovern won only Massachusetts.  But  I was too far left to commit to McGovern.  I was a staffer for Tom Hayden and Jane Fonda's Indochina Peace Campaign.


1984 was one of the worst years for Democrats.  We won only Minnesota. 
It was hard to overcome 1984 for me: I was deeply involved in the Mondale campaign and was a member of the Democratic National Platform Committee. 

In 1992 I had a seat in the viewing stands for Bill Clinton's first term.  Then came 1994 and the Contract with America.  And of course the sex scandal and the impeachment trial.


In 2008 I shared the Yes We Can euphoria - and believed for a minute that the Republicans would self-destruct.  I still think they will.  And we will ride high again.


Here to serve memory are the 1984 and 1972 electoral maps.  Things are not that bad now, though the House map is going to look pretty bad in the morning.
1972

HERE is the link the electoral maps.

1 comment:

  1. I followed your odyssey, George -- but I don't share your optimism. America is in its Weimar phase.

    Rey

    ReplyDelete