Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Mubarak calls for constitutional reform

In his inelegant and incomplete concession speech Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak said:
"I say in all honesty and regardless of the current situation that I did not intend to nominate myself for a new presidential term. I have spent enough years of my life in the service of Egypt and its people.
"I am now absolutely determined to finish my work for the nation in a way that ensures handing over its safe-keeping and banner ... preserving its legitimacy and respecting the constitution.

"I will work in the remaining months of my term to take the steps to ensure a peaceful transfer of power.

"According to my constitutional powers, I call on parliament in both its houses to discuss amending Article 76 and 77 of the constitution concerning the conditions on running for presidency of the republic and it sets specific a period for the presidential term.

"In order for the current parliament in both houses to be able to discuss these constitutional amendments and the legislative amendments linked to it for laws that complement the constitution and to ensure the participation of all the political forces in these discussions, I demand parliament to adhere to the word of the judiciary and its verdicts concerning the latest cases which have been legally challenged.
Articles 75 and 76 are in the link below. Basically the parliament puts forward one candidate for a six year term. The relevant Articles are below:

No comments:

Post a Comment