Monday, July 18, 2011

Can a playground be too safe? NY Times.com

real playground jungle jim - if you fell it hurt
Oh, definitely. I hated it at the Ashfield fall festival when the den mothers held the rope ladder so that all the children got to ring the bell. And falling on rubber playground mats. What's wrong with dirt?
It's of a piece with grade inflation and all the children are above average. I failed 4th grade arithmetic. Had a nervous breakdown over fractions. My solution? The decimal system. Everything converts into %. Should they have told me it was OK, that I just needed a little help. No. The failure was instructive - but you can see the seeds even there. I got an E- 5. E instead of F. 5 for lack of effort. That was wrong. I was trying. My brain just didn't compute. Even now 5/16 x 11/32 makes me nervous. - GWC
Can a Playground Be Too Safe? - NYTimes.com: "When seesaws and tall slides and other perils were disappearing from New York’s playgrounds, Henry Stern drew a line in the sandbox. As the city’s parks commissioner in the 1990s, he issued an edict concerning the 10-foot-high jungle gym near his childhood home in northern Manhattan.

“I grew up on the monkey bars in Fort Tryon Park, and I never forgot how good it felt to get to the top of them,” Mr. Stern said. “I didn’t want to see that playground bowdlerized. I said that as long as I was parks commissioner, those monkey bars were going to stay.”

His philosophy seemed reactionary at the time, but today it’s shared by some researchers who question the value of safety-first playgrounds."

No comments:

Post a Comment