Saturday, October 24, 2009

Progressive Change Campaign Presses Obama on Public Option

Like most progressives I favor a single payer system. Like most progressives I accept that we are not going to get it at this point - because too many people believe in that government that governs least is best (for reasons that escape me almost entirely).

Maine is our second home and we continually hope that Sen. Snowe and Sen. Collins will uphold the honorable tradition of the Republican Party that fought and won the Civil War. Sen. Snowe continues to be the swing vote in the Senate. She is of the view that credibility among Republicans requires her to oppose a government-sponsored health insurance company.
SupportforPublicOption.png Support for Public Option image by fayeforcure

We understand President Obama's need to get something done, and to hold Snowe in as she is the stalking horse for weak links like Joseph Lieberman and other "blue dog" Dems. But we think Sen. Snowe should listen to Maine voters. A public insurance company that pays Medicare rates plus 5% can function efficiently and put decent health insurance within the reach of the great majority of Americans.

The Progressive Change Campaign is delivering that message this weekend as President Obama presses for a weakened (and in my view not-credible) public option triggered by the (likely) failure of the private health insurers to make coverage available to all but a few.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting our new ad!

    It's at http://YesWeStillCan.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visit YesWeStillCan.org to sign a petition to Obama!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe the President owes the american people an explanation on why he has changed his position on the public option. As an Obama supporter I am starting to get a little worry that its business as usual. I really feel that this president is our last hope to save our congress from self-destruction; it will become so fat from greed, it will bust. I am not a political expert but I PAY TAXES, and I pay attention to local, national & international government, so I have a general idea of what's happening, and I know the president supported the public option before and now he doesn't. I realize that lobbyist seem to be in control in what happens in our government and I don't like it. I will continue to support our president but I will definitely be keeping my eye on Washington, DC.

    ReplyDelete