Monday, March 2, 2020

Chris Matthews calls it quits at Hard Ball and MSNBC

Image result for chris matthews tip o'Neill
Chris Matthews with Speaker of the House Tip O'Neill
I made sure to get home by 7:00 to sit down and watch Chris Matthews give us the good news of Biden's improved prospects on Super Tuesday. Instead I watched, stunned, his on the spot resignation from the show he created twenty years ago.
Fifty seven years ago! my first year dorm room was next to Chris's at Holy Cross College. In those days of a Jesuit on every floor, daily Mass, and lights out at 11:00 I remember Chris's voice rising above his three roommates even as we were told to douse the lights.
I haven't seen him in twenty five years but I liked Hard Ball, forgave his foibles, loved his book on Bobby Kennedy and loved his love of politics.
Favorite bit: when he was Tip O'Neill's spokesman: Reporter: "There is a report that President Reagan has offered the Speaker Secret Service protection from the Libyan hit squad reportedly on the move. Chris: The Speaker has declined. Tip doesn't think they're looking for him."  - gwc

No comments:

Post a Comment