Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Hamill: My pal Don Forst me to get it write by insisting on getting details - NY Daily News

Denis Hamill (l.), new to job at the Los Angeles Herald Examiner in 1978, brings baby Katie into the office of his editor, Don Forst, in ploy to get a raise. It worked.
Denis Hamill brought his daughter to work to impress on Forst the need for a raise
Don Forst, the great newspaperman, editor of New York Newsday, LA Examiner, and Village Voice died last week.  Denis Hamill remembers his friend. h/t Jim Dwyer - GWC Hamill: My pal Don Forst me to get it write by insisting on getting details - NY Daily News:
"Details, details, details. Don Forst, the legendary newspaper editor who died Saturday at 81, drove me and everyone who ever worked for him nuts insisting on getting the details in a story. So a few weeks after my daughter Katie was born on Oct. 12, 1978, in St. John’s Hospital in Santa Monica, Calif., I drove her in my red Ford Mustang to the Los Angeles Herald Examiner, where Forst had hired me when I was 26 as a newspaper columnist. I marched my kid up the marble stairs to the second floor of the palatial Spanish Colonial Revival building built by William Randolph Hearst at 1111 Broadway in downtown Los Angles. Forst was sitting in his managing editor’s office when I plopped the carrier containing my daughter on his polished desk. “Meet my daughter, Katie,” I said. “She eats like a racehorse. I need a raise.” Forst looked at the kid, picked up the phone, and said, “Get me photo.”"
'via Blog this'

No comments:

Post a Comment