Monday, August 8, 2011

Westen's false narrative

Obama can't tell a good story?  Hasn't told a good story? That's what Drew Westen - a psychologist - says in a big Times essay called What Happened to Obama?  I wish it were so simple.    Westen isn't even right about Obama's rhetoric.  HERE is his big debt and deficit speech defending Medicare, etc.   And Here's Jonathan Bernstein's take. - GWC

Everyone is talking about Drew Westen's mega-article in the New York Times yesterday, which takes Barack Obama to task for not being a good storyteller. As I'm sure regular readers will expect, I think it's bunk. I didn't want to deal with it over the weekend, however, and so others beat me to the main points, and made them better than I would. #1. Westen misunderstands the presidency, and even misunderstands the power of rhetoric within the presidency; John Sides explains. #2. Westen isn't even right about the basic facts; Andrew Sprung, who follows Obama's rhetoric more carefully than anyone else I know of, has no difficulty finding several examples of Obama saying exactly what Westen wants Obama to say. And a long time ago, Brendan Nyhan was excellent on Westen in general.

But if that's not enough, I'll add a bit....


No comments:

Post a Comment