Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Bill Clinton: I'd use 14th Amendment - Jennifer Epstein - POLITICO.com

Absolutely right. If push comes to shove stand and say "the United States meets its obligations". The Supreme Court would back him 7-2 (dissenters: Scalia & Thomas)
Bill Clinton: I'd use 14th Amendment - Jennifer Epstein - POLITICO.com:
"By JENNIFER EPSTEIN | 7/19/11 6:25 AM EDT

Former President Bill Clinton would invoke the 14th Amendment - “without hesitation, and force the courts to stop me,” he says - to raise the debt ceiling if he were in President Barack Obama’s shoes, with the deadline to raise the limit just two weeks away.

“I think the Constitution is clear and I think this idea that the Congress gets to vote twice on whether to pay for [expenditures] it has appropriated is crazy,” Clinton said in an interview with journalist Joe Conason.

Clinton said he would turn to the Constitution “if it came to that,” but doesn’t think that Obama will need to. “It looks to me like they’re going to make an agreement, and that’s smart,” he said."

No comments:

Post a Comment